Copper Wire »
Magnetic Wire »
CU Wire »
Craft Wire »
Enamel Wire »
Jewelry Wire »
Copper Wire Weight »
Where to find copper wire »
Where to get magnet wire »
Enamelled Copper Wire »
Solid Copper Wire »
Essex Wire »
Wire for Wire Wrapping »
What is Litz Wire? »
Winding Wire »
Enamelled Wire »
Jewelry Making Wire »
Magnetic Coil Wire »
Copper Wire Price »
Copper Magnet Wire »
What is Litz Wire?
Litz wire is made of many individually insulated wire strands twisted together, following one of several patterns. It is used to carry alternating current and designed to reduce the skin effect and proximity effect.
The term litz wire originates from the German word litzendraht, which means braided/stranded wire or woven wire.
What is litz wire found in? Litz wire can be used in a number of applications, including conductors, inductors, transformers, motors, inverters, television equipment, and heat induction equipment.
What is litz wire classified by?
There are 8 types of litz wire, each with an optional outer insulation of yarn or tape.
- Type 1 - Individually insulated wires twisted together
- Type 2 - Uninsulated type 1 litz wires twisted together
- Type 3 - Insulated type 2 litz wires twisted together
- Type 4 - Uninsulated type 2 litz wire twisted together around a central fiber core
- Type 5 - Insulated type 2 Litz wire twisted around a fiber core
- Type 6 - Insulated type 4 Litz wire twisted around a fiber core
- Type 7 - Insulated wire braided and formed into rectangular wire
- Type 8 - Insulated strands twisted and compressed into rectangular wire
Litz wire is very good at reducing the skin effect in wires with frequencies below 500 kHz, decently effective at wires up to 1 MHz, but it is rarely used in applications with frequencies above 2 MHz.
Served vs. Unserved
Served litz wire is wrapped with a nylon textile, yarn or silk to give it extra protection and strength. Unserved wire does not have this extra protection.
What is Litz Wire made of?
The outer insulation and the insulation on the component conductors may be nylon, cotton, fiberglass, ceramic, mylar, capronic or silk threads.
Heat-sealed polyester, rubber, vinyl and Teflon tape wraps can also be used as outer insulation for litz wire if the applications require special voltage breakdown or environmental protection.
Litz wire sizes are often shown as the number of strands over the AWG (American Wire Gauge) size of each strand.
For example, If a wire had ten strands of 24 AWG wire it would be written out as 10/24.
Braiding - Make your own litz wire.
What is litz wire braiding? Braids of litz wire can either be flat or round.
To braid wire, you must first measure the wires to the desired length and cut them. Since braiding reduces the ultimate length of the cable, you should add 1.25 inches for every foot of wire, or 1 centimeter for every 10 centimeters.
You then need to solder the ends of the conductors together to make sure that they do not come loose and then secure the soldered wire to a clamp to keep it in place.
- To make a 3 wire flat braid: Move the outer left wire over the middle wire to the right, then move the outer right wire over the middle wire to the left. Continue doing this until you reach the end of the wire.
- To make a 3 wire round braid: Move the center wire under the left wire, around it and over again into the center. Then move the center wire under the right wire, around it and over again into the center. Repeat until you the end of the wire is reached.
- To make a 4 wire flat braid: Move the outer left wires over two wires to the right. Then move the outer right wire over one wire to the left. You must then move the outer left wires under two wires to the right and move the outer right wire under one wire to the left. Repeat until you reach the end of the cable.
Where can I buy litz wire?
TEMCo supplies any type of wire you may need, all it made in the USA. Find the litz wire you’ve been searching for by calling TEMCo today!
"I needed a 3 phase rotary phase converter to run a DoAll Mill."
The family friend I purchased the mill from had purchased one from TEMCo several years ago, and told me that's the company to deal with. Very competitive price, fast delivery, and a solid, quality product. The shipping was fast, and the phase converter was crated very well and had zero damage from shipping. This thing runs so quietly I hardly know it's running.
I HIGHLY recommend TEMCo!
- mrtriton, 3/15/10
"Excellent advice, service & product".
The staff helped determine exactly the size converter I needed, answered any questions I had thoroughly. The unit was shipped quickly & was very welled packed. The product is so well designed that installation was a breeze & the converter works great.
Got me up and running very quickly.
- Michael Hall, 3/25/11
TEMCo is proud to be an acreddited member of the Better Business Bereau Online Reliability Program.
TEMCo's Phase Converter and Transformer customers include:
American Family Radio
Navy Public Works Center
US Army Executive Service
Stanford Linear Accelerator (SLAC)
Lawrence Livermore National Labs
and many thousands more.
TEMCo products meet the demands of tough industrial applications with dependability and quality.
Since 1968, TEMCo has become a trusted name in Industrial Power Products.